Saturday 18 October 2014

The Book I'm Currently Reading | October


Hi everyone, I have some good news and some bad news.
The bad news is, I recently went back to school so I haven't had lots of time to write blog posts as I've been trying to catch up on work I've missed. However, the good news is that I'm now off for two weeks for half term and my birthday is on Tuesday. I have lots of coursework to do and I need to prepare for my Spanish assessment that I'm doing once I go back but besides that, I have tons of time to blog - and read!

I've always loved reading, ever since I was little. Before my Great Pops passed away, I would go and see him quite regularly and I'd always have a book with me. Even when he started to get quite ill, he never failed to ask me what book I was reading.
A couple of weeks ago, I bought One Hundred Names by Cecelia Ahern. I think Carrie Hope Fletcher featured one of her books in a video so once I saw this one on the shelves, I immediately wanted to buy it and see if it was any good. I've only recently started reading (I'm on Chapter 5) and I can confirm that she is a brilliant writer. The book is in third person - I normally tend to read books written in the first person - but Cecelia Ahern manages to capture emotion and portray the way the main character is feeling fantastically well.

Kitty Logan has lost her way...
As a journalist, she's spent the past few years chasing the big scoops - no matter the consequences. When she makes a terrible mistake, she finds herself mired in scandal, her career implodes and even her personal relationships are tested to the limit.
At a loss, Kitty finds distraction in a list of one hundred names her late mentor and boss, Constance, has left her. Kitty's been given one final chance, the most important assignment of her life - to write the story behind the one hundred names as a tribute piece to Constance. As she tracks down the people on the list and tries to work out what connects them, Kitty meets some extraordinary people.
Can these strangers' stories help her finally understand her own?

The thing that drew me to this book (apart from Carrie mentioning the author) was the beautiful front cover - the scoring gives the appearance of a typical tree trunk, with deep lines and circles which are commonly found on wood. The gold writing stands out against the blue heart, which I think gives a nice effect.
I've been trying to find a different style of book to the ones I usually read - cliché romances or mystery books. This one seems perfect and I'm really enjoying it so far. The characters are really interesting and I'm really looking forward to finding out more about the one hundred people that Kitty is going to meet further on in the story.

I also took a snap of each of my cats - Alvin and Tigger - as Alvin is in the background of some of the photographs of the book and I couldn't leave Tigger out!
Please let me know what you think of this blog post as I'm hoping to do one every month and let you guys know what books I enjoy.

What book are you currently reading?

1 comment:

  1. I'm actually not currently reading anything, but you've reminded me that it's about time I picked up another book! I may go out and give that one as chance, as it seems really different! I also must say that you have the cutest cats:)
    Ariana // Thoughts Through a Teacup

    ReplyDelete